Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Here I am Lord

Do you know the song, "Here I am Lord. Is it I Lord? I have heard you calling in the night. I will go Lord, if you lead me. I will hold your people in my heart."
   I remember playing guitar and singing it on the teeny deck of my shared apartment when I was 22, finished with college and no job. If God wanted me to go to another country I was interested.  If He wanted me to help people who were disadvantaged I was game.  I was sincere and trusting.
    Well, I am now almost 36 (yikes - can it really have been that long??) and it occurred to me recently that that song is not just for the person called to be a missionary overseas, or to have a profession helping disadvantaged marginalized people. God can use us right now, right where we are.  This does not mean that God will NOT call us to physically go somewhere, or reach out to people in need - it just may not look the way we think it will. 
  God can use ME right now, right here. Personal example following. . .
It has been very challenging for my husband and I to get connected in this city.  It has brought me to the point of tears many times. I throw a pity party, and think of all the people who I know are swapping kids and having playdates and doing things together that are not planned on a church calendar.  Blah, blah, blah.  It is the whole "grass is greener on the other side" thing.  I see what I want to see.  I can choose to focus on the blessings God has given me and trust Him. AND, I can stop hoping hoping for deep friendships with people who simply do not have the time or energy.
    I CAN use my strong desire for deep fellowship to cause me to reach out to other folks who may feel as my husband and I have.  And there ARE people who have invited us over and i have not returned the invitation.  I have been so focused on the people I really really thought were supposed to become my good friends that I have missed out on opportunities for fellowship with folks who actually have the time and desire to cultivate it.
  I will NOT listen to lies of Satan.  Get behind me in the strong name of Jesus Christ!! The deceiver will do just that.  I know that God will use the pain of this world for good if we let Him.  I hope He will use me.          

No comments:

Post a Comment