Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Sometimes the only way out is through the flames

I learned this through a children's movie that I watched with my daughter for the first time today. It is called, "The Fox and the Hound". There is a part where two foxes are trapped in a hollow log. The hunter has set fire to one end of it and is waiting with his hound on the other end with a gun pointed at the hole. It seems all is lost . . . but then the two foxes race out of the end that is on fire.  Sometimes the only way out is through the flames.  You wish there were an easier way. But there isn't. For me I am allowing myself to have emotions/will/desires for the first time in about 3 decades. This all started on May 20th, per my counselor's suggestion that I take notice of my feelings without judging them. 
  It has been very challenging, with today being probably my most challenging day thus far. There is no day that I have had without emotions since May 20th. They (the emotions) are exhilarating, painful, freeing, tormenting.....real.  I would like to take a break from them.  However I will not go back to stuffing them down.  That promoted all sorts of yuck within me and around me.
  Who knew there were so many deep emotional and moral lessons in children's movies? 
My daughter and I watched Cinderella this morning.  That was really difficult.  The stepmother is abusive and treats Cinderella as if she was subhuman. Even the cat is determined to keep Cinderella locked away from her potential dream come true. I was about ready to throw my shoe at the tv. I thought I would be giving myself and my daughter a break by us watching movies. Not so.
  However afterwards God reminded me of a truth that I had heard before.  He (God) wants to give us a banquet when we are all too content to sneak trash out of the dumpster.  I don't remember where I heard this originally.  It is soooo true.
   He so desires to give us abundant life now. So don't wait for heaven.  His kingdom is coming upon this earth now as I write.  Step up to the banquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment